Laryngoscope. 2018 Jun;128(6):1353-1364. doi: 10.1002/lary.26903. Epub 2017 Oct 8.
Primary surgery versus primary radiation-based treatment for locally advanced oropharyngeal cancer.
Conclusions by Dr. Guduz
- Surgery+aRT±CT has better overall survival than CRT both in HPV restricted, HPV +, HPV-, and total populations
- HPV status is only available from 2010
- Data on chemotherapy type is lacking
- Data on details of radiotherapy is lacking
- Data on surgical technique and presence/absence of neck dissection
- Comparison of less invasive techniques with open techniques not available
- NCDB data lacking smoking status, local recurrence or toxicities
- Functional outcomes such as speech and swallowing (factors of quality of life not evaluated